Packed full of flavour and nutritious almond and fruits a delicious and semi-healthy way to start your day. Popular with kids and adults.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Drop 12 muffin cases into 1 large or 2 small muffin trays.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Tip into a dish to cool. Mash the banana.
- Wash and dry the blueberries thoroughly. Snip the dried fruits. Wash and dry the orange.
- Make the crumble. Tip the ingredients into a bowl. Rub them lightly together between your fingers until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- For the muffins: sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate into a bowl. Add the ground almonds and sugar. Grate the orange zest over the top.
- Beat the eggs together. Add the milk and cooled butter. Tip into the flour mix. Add the orange juice and banana. Mix everything together pretty quickly using a fork to create a lumpy batter.
- Stir in the fresh and dried fruit for quick but even distribution.
- Spoon the barely-combined mix into the muffin cases. They should be about two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle evenly with crumble – you may not need it all. I sometimes push an extra blueberry or two into the tops too.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till the tops are lightly golden. Test one by pushing a cocktail stick/thin wooden skewer into the centre. It should come out clean.
- Remove and leave to cool on a rack until warm or cold.
- Enjoy these warm with a coffee or a glass of orange juice. They are also good cold and make a good energy breakfast to-go. They also work well for an afternoon tea or lunch treat. Re-heat from cold for 2 minutes if you prefer. Best on the day or within 2 days.