Flapjacks have to be one of my all-time favourites. These are the beautiful jammy jewels in the collection. Try one for breakfast or in a picnic or lunch box.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350/4. Grease an 18×30.5x4cm/7x12x1 ½ in tin with butter.
- Tip the butter and sugar into a bowl. Beat them together vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mix is white and creamy.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Add the vanilla extract and oats. Mix well.
- Tip half the mix into the tin, spreading evenly. Press it firmly down, using your hands, so it covers the base completely and fills the corners.
- Use a spatula to spread a layer of jam over this base. If the jam is stiff you can beat it with a wooden spoon to loosen it up a bit first.
- Sprinkle the remaining oat mix evenly over the jam so it’s absolutely covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes until just golden. Start to check after 10-15. Remove the tin and sit it on a cooling rack.
- After 10 minutes cooling, take a sharp knife and mark the flapjack into squares. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin. I use a knife and spatula to do this. Makes a great breakfast to go as well as a teatime treat.