Gluten-free can mean gorgeous. These are delicious little bites of heaven.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2. Grease a 20cm/8in square cake or brownie tin (at least 3 inches/8 cm deep) with butter. Line the base and sides with baking/greaseproof paper.
- Tip the butter and sugar into a bowl. Cream them together vigorously using a wooden spoon until the mix is very light, white and fluffy. This could take up to 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs together in a small bowl. Weigh out the ground almonds and have them close.
- Beat a third of the egg mix very gradually into the creamed mixture along with a third of the almonds.
- Once amalgamated, add the next third of egg and almonds. Beat it in. Add the final third.
- Add the lemon rind and juice or extract. Spoon it evenly into the tin.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until the top of the cake is golden. To test, insert a cocktail stick into the middle. It should be just a bit sticky as it comes out.
- Remove the cake to a rack and let it cool in the tin. Ice once it’s cold.
- Icing: sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add sufficient juice to create a thick coating mix, stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour it evenly over the cold cake. Add optional bits of chopped glace cherry or flaked almond.
- Serve whole or cut into squares.