Slow-release energy makes porridge the healthiest start to the day and it’s economical. Customise it with fruit etc. for something jazzier.
- Wash and dry any fruit you are using. Or fetch and prep any topping options.
- Tip the oats, liquid and salt into a pan on low/medium heat.
- Bring the oats slowly to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon so the mix doesn’t catch as it starts to become creamy.
- Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, stirring for 3-4 minutes. Taste to see the texture suits you and the oats are done. Add a splash more liquid if you think you need to.
- Tip porridge into a warm bowl. Top with optional fruit, extra milk or cream if you wish, and any sweetener such as brown sugar, maple syrup. Or put a few berries in the bowl. Cover with the porridge. They will warm and soften slightly.