Traditionally an American campfire classic, with marshmallows and chocolate sandwiched between two biscuits, my indoor s’mores are the ultimate treat. With the addition of crunchy peanut butter, you can attempt to make all the ingredients yourself at home, or a take the easy road with my sure-fire shortcuts. You will need a blowtorch, electric whisk and an 8cm cookie cutter for this recipe.
- To make the marshmallows, follow my recipe in this link: http://www.samstern.co.uk/recipe/marshmallows/
- Whisk the butter and sugar for the biscuits together for 2-3 minutes using the electric whisk until pale and well combined. Beat the egg yolks and gradually add, continue beating with the electric whisk. Add the vanilla extract.
- Sieve the flour, ground almonds and salt together and add to the mix. Combine with a wooden spoon until just combined. Try not to mix for too long as you do not want to toughen the mixture by over-mixing.
- Roll the mix into a ball, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Chop the dark chocolate into small pieces and place into a bowl. Scald the double cream – this means to heat the cream on a low to medium heat on the stove until steam rises from the cream and the edges slightly bubble. Remove from the heat. Pour the cream over the dark chocolate and mix together with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until the chocolate is melted.
- Place a layer of cling film directly over the ganache so the cling is touching the chocolate mixture. This helps to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Combine the ingredients for the peanut butter spread. The mixture needs to be spreadable so if it is too stiff, add a little warm water to loosen. Set aside, but do not refrigerate.
- After the biscuit mix has chilled, remove from the fridge and roll out onto a floured surface, to about 4mm thick. Cut the biscuit discs with the cookie cutter and lay the biscuits onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Chill the biscuits for 20 minutes again.
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees C/375 degrees F (170 degrees C/325 degrees F for fan) and ensure the oven shelf is set up on the top shelf.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-15 minutes, depending on the strength of your oven. The biscuits should be a light golden colour when they are ready.
- Allow the biscuits to cool on a wire rack.
- To assemble, take one biscuit and spread with a layer of the peanut butter spread.
- Place the ganache into a piping bag if available, or use a spoon, and place over the peanut butter.
- Top the ganache with marshmallows, and lightly toast these using a blowtorch.
- Cover the toasted marshmallow with another biscuit to create a sandwich. It is now ready to serve.