Brownies – amazing. Cheesecake – amazing. Salted caramel – amazing. All three together? Heaven!
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan/180c conventional.
- Line the base and grease the sides of a 20cm square cake tin. If it doesn’t have a removable base then also line the sides so you can get the brownie out.
- Prepare the salted caramel. Place the caster sugar in a medium sized heavy-based pan. Allow it to dissolve over a low heat; don’t stir, just swirl. Once dissolved, turn up the heat to medium until the sugar turns a golden caramel. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Once melted, add the double cream and salt. Return to the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Set to one side.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl over a bowl of barely simmering water. Once melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar, cream and eggs. Fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Tip the mix into the tin.
- Now make the cheesecake topping by beating together the cream cheese, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Pour this over the brownie, swirling together with a metal skewer if you like. Now top with swirls of salted caramel – if it has hardened up too much then stick it back on the heat and whisk until it becomes obedient. Don’t worry if it separates, it will come together with enough heat and whisking.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until it is just slightly wobbly in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin. Slice up into small pieces – a little is goes a long way!