This is the ideal breakfast for a frosty winter weekend morning – a pile of hearty potato cakes, rich black pudding, meaty mushrooms and soft poached egg. Cook this up before you venture outside to keep yourself warm and energized. If you’re not a fan of black pudding swap it for 4 slices of thick bacon.
- Heat a pan of water to boiling. Add potatoes and boil for 15 minutes, or until very soft. Drain and mash.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over a gentle heat. Add butter and onions. Fry for 10 minutes, until onions are soft but not coloured.
- Tip potato, onion, parsley and flour into a bowl. Beat 1 of the eggs and add to bowl. Season and mix together. Divide into four. Roll each section into balls and then flatten into cakes. Chill in the fridge until cool – about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry potato cakes for 10 mins, mushrooms for 5 mins, and black pudding and tomatoes for 7 mins – do these in batches if your pan is not large enough, or heat another pan or two if you have them. Make sure you turn everything halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add a large pinch of salt and turn off the heat. Wait until the water has just stopped boiling.
- One at a time, crack the 2 remaining eggs into a cup and then neatly tip them into the just-stopped-boiling water. Poach eggs for 4 mins. Lift out with a slotted spoon and allow the water to drip off.
- Stack up the potato cakes, black pudding and mushrooms, placing the egg on top. Add the tomatoes onto the side and drizzle with brown sauce. Tuck in!