The perfect quick and tasty treat to get you feeling festive. As an added bonus your kitchen will be filled with the delicious sweet buttery smell of baking along with freshly zested orange – and nothing quite says Christmas like chocolate orange. These little biscuits will keep for 3 or 4 days in an airtight container, if they last that long!
- Grease a baking sheet or line with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together with a wooden spoon in a large bowl until smooth and light.
- Add the flour and combine with the mixture, then start to mould into a dough with your hands.
- Now add the chocolate chips and work into the dough as quickly as possible before they start to melt.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1cm and cut into any shape you like before sprinkling with a little more caster sugar.
- Transfer the shortbread to the prepared baking sheet and leave to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. In the meantime pre-heat your oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the shortbread is a light golden brown. Leave them for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.