Who knew Yorkshire Puddings had a secret life? Here it is. Enjoy.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a jug. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Pre-heat the oven to 220c/475c/gas 7 if cooking immediately. Otherwise continue and chill the finished batter.
- Tip the egg and milk mix very slowly and gradually into the flour, beating vigorously with a wooden spoon or a balloon or electric hand whisk. Beat continuously, adding the liquid bit by bit until thoroughly amalgamated into a smooth silky batter. Set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes or so or use it now.
- Grease a deep 8 hole muffin tin very generously with butter. Preheat it in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the oil or butter into the batter then pour it into the holes (two-thirds fill each one) of the scorching hot tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until high, brown and crisp. Take one out to check the base is crisp too. If not, burn the croissants upside down in the tin. Bake for a few move minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
- Eat hot or warm with butter, jam, marmalade or lemon curd.