International Waffle Day is here and I am celebrating with my version of a waffle banana sundae, with sweet cinnamon waffles, butter fried bananas and an oozing chocolate sauce that you can drizzle over store bought ice cream. Decorated with sprinkles, chopped nuts, whipped cream and glace cherries, this is an incredibly easy recipe that will make anyone wish it was International Waffle Day every day! You will need a waffle machine to make this recipe.
- Chop the dark chocolate into pieces and place into a heatproof bowl.
- Chop the nuts into small pieces and set aside.
- Whip the double cream and add 2 teaspoons of sieved icing sugar to it to sweeten it.
- Sieve the flour for the waffle batter and add the sugars, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add the milk and vegetable oil to the dry waffle mixture and combine.
- Warm up your waffle machine, following your manufacturer instructions. I like to use cooking spray on the waffle irons to ensure they do not stick.
- Heat water in a saucepan on a gentle heat and place the bowl of chocolate on top. Ensure that no water from the saucepan can get into the bowl or the chocolate will seize.
- Melt the chocolate over the heat, stirring until it is fully melted.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk, sugar and cream for the chocolate sauce to scalding point, which is where bubbles rise to the corners of the pan. Remove from the heat and whisk into the melted chocolate.
- Return the chocolate mix to a gentle heat and gradually add the butter, stirring continuously. Set the chocolate aside to cool a little.
- Peel the bananas, chop them in half lengthwise. Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat and place the bananas onto the pan. The bananas will cook very quickly, so turn them over after about 1 minute. Cook on the other side and then set aside to cool.
- Using a ladle, pour the batter into the waffle iron moulds and cook them according to your manufacturer’s instructions. The cooked waffles should be golden and crispy on the outside, they should be served immediately. My waffle machine makes each batch of waffles in 5 minutes.
- Place 2 waffles on each plate. Scoop your ice cream on top and place the fried bananas around them.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce on top of the ice cream and then dollop the whipped cream on top.
- Finish the dish with a sprinkling of chopped nuts, sprinkles and the glace cherries on top.