This is a pie for those afraid of pastry. Simply roll it out, pile the fruit in the middle and fold over the edges. Delicious
- Put water for pastry into the fridge to chill for 20 minutes at least.
- Make up the pastry, allowing 30 minutes to chill it before rolling it out.
- By Hand-Sift flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter cut into bits, and the lemon rind. Rub everything lightly together between your fingers until the butter is amalgamated. By Machine blitz these same ingredients together in a processor until the butter is incorporated and mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg yolk with a fork in a small bowl or cup. Add the chilled water. Beat. Add to your pastry mix and either mix with a fork or pulse to a ball in your processor.
- Pull the pastry together into a smooth ball handling it very lightly so it doesn’t get hot and sticky. Wrap the ball in cling film. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 200 c/400f/gas 6.
- Wash and dry all the fruit. Stone and chop the peaches, nectarines. Slice banana if using. Tip into a mixing bowl with all the berries and the chopped apple. Add the lemon juice (or rum), sugar, flour, pistachios and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Grease a large heavy baking try with extra butter. When pastry has chilled for 30 minutes at least place it on a lightly floured board. Roll it out to resemble a pizza base, 12 -14 inches. Transfer across to the baking tray. Spoon the fruit mix into the center of this base, leaving a border free around the edge. Brush the border with a bit of egg/milk beaten together then fold the pastry up, over and onto the fruit itself, leaving the center open.
- Using your fingers, roughly crimp/pinch the border edge together to seal the juices in and create a good shape which you can now brush with egg/milk mix and sprinkle with a little caster sugar
- Cook in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes. If the pastry starts to brown vey quickly , cover with foil or baking paper. Check from 15 minutes onwards.
- Remove when done. Let it settle for 10 minutes if eating hot. Enjoy hot or warm with custard, ice-cream, cream cold. It’s also very good cold. Store in fridge for 2 days but best fresh.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar just before serving.