Although they originate from the east, bento boxes don’t have to be packed with Japanese flavours. You can vary them, filling them with tastes from all over the world. This Moroccan bento is comprised of lamb and apricot meatballs, red pepper and cucumber couscous, with a mint and lemon dressing. To save time in the morning, make it all the night before!
- Heat a large frying pan over a low temperature. Add a splash of oil along with the onion and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes until soft, but not coloured. Add the cumin and ground coriander for the last few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked onion mixture with the apricots, lamb mince and chopped coriander. Season and form into 14 meatballs.
- Reheat the frying pan with a little more oil, this time over a medium heat. Cook meatballs for 10 minutes, turning while they cook to brown all sides.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a bowl and add 150ml of just boiled water or stock. Cover with a tea towel and wait 5-6 minutes for the couscous to absorb the water, then add the cucumber and pepper (if you don’t like raw pepper fry it for 5 minutes in a little oil over a medium/high heat). Squeeze over a little lemon juice, lightly season it and mix together.
- To make the yogurt dressing, mix together the yogurt, 1tsp lemon juice and the mint.
- Pack up your bento with a handful of salad leaves and some cherry tomatoes.