Sometimes you have to ditch the January diet and make something comforting to ward away the cold. The spicy, warming Mexican flavours in this pasta bake will do just that. This is truly some good mood food.
- Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/gas 6.
- Add a splash of oil into a roasting tin along with the sausages. Roast them for 25 minutes. Remove, leave to cool for a few minutes and then slice them up.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the tomato sauce: Heat a saucepan over a low heat. Add a splash of oil and the onions and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add in the chipotle chili and the oregano. Fry for 1 minute before adding the tomatoes, along with 1/3 can of cold water. Add sugar and seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the sausages, pasta, tomato sauce and beans, and then pour into an oven proof dish. Over the top lay a couple of jalapenos – add how many you feel comfortable eating! – and then scatter over the cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until the cheese is slightly brown. Serve with guacamole, chopped fresh tomatoes and salad leaves.